Research project in collaboration with architects Beth Hughes and Platon Issaias.
Photographic documentation of Leros island architecture from the Italian period (1912-1943).
The project focuses on the uses of architecture throughout recent history. The city of "Lakki " and various other military infrastructures were initially built to support "Lepida" one of the biggest naval bases in the Aegean. After WW2 the existing infrastructure has accommodated the royal technical schools (post civil war period), mental institution (1957-today) and has served as prison for political detainees during the greek military dictatorship. In recent years buildings have been trasformed and serve as detention centers for immigrants and refugees crossing into Europe.
The project is supported by UCL Bartlett School of Architecture